How to Control:
- Introduce biocontrol agents wherever possible.
- Hand pull seedlings and very small plants.
- Cut stump application: Cut down low and treat stump with (2g metsulfuron/1L water ), or (100ml Tordon Brushkiller®/1L water) , or Vigilant® gel, or (100ml triclopyr/1L water), or (250ml glyphosate + 10ml penetrant/1L water).
- Frill and Fill: Make a deep cuts into the sapwood at regular intervals around the base of the tree, taking care not to ring-bark the plant. Immediately saturate each cut with undiluted Tordon Brushkiller®. Extra care must be taken when using undiluted herbicide. Best done in autumn.
- Drill & fill: Drill (c.10mm drill bit) sloping holes into the sapwood at 10cm intervals around trunk, at or near ground level, and fill immediately with undiluted Tordon Brushkiller® . Extra care is required when working with undiluted herbicides. Best done in autumn.
- Spray all year round (5g metsulfuron+10ml penetrant/10L water), or (25ml Tordon Brushkiller®/10L water), or (100ml glyphosate + 20ml penetrant/10L water). Only use glyphosate spray when all vegetation on site is to be removed for replanting (generally not required).
- Spray in spring-summer with (200ml triclopyr +10ml penetrant/10L water).
When spraying, ensure total coverage to the point of running off both leaves & stems.
Do not burn or graze. Sites with appropriate tall forest spp. present can usually be left to be overtopped; can speed by selective slashing, stump swabbing or planting. Check road gravel & fill.
CAUTION: when using any herbicide or pesticide PLEASE READ THE LABEL THOROUGHLY to ensure that all instructions and safety requirements are followed.